Walking is not only a means of transportation but also a sport for fitness that many people choose. However, we need to walk correctly, at the right time in a certain period for the exercise to work.
When it comes to how to safely and effectively lose weight, many people think that strict exercise is necessary. However, just by using the daily walking routine in combination with the correct method, you can achieve your weight loss goals more quickly.
Benefits of walking
Studies have shown that walking regularly, at least but 3 days a week, will bring beneficial effects such as increasing flexibility, firmness of muscles, tendons; increase bone density, fight osteoporosis, stimulate secretion of anti-degenerative substances; Stimulates digestion helps to eat deep sleep well; anti-constipation; enhance metabolism, fight high cholesterol, reduce bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol; increase blood circulation, increase flexibility of vascular walls, regulate blood pressure, reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, blood pressure, stroke, …; reduce stress; reduce muscle and bone aches; against again.
How to walk healthy
Walking is an appropriate exercise method for many people, from children to the elderly, the sick, the healthy, the pregnant, the obese.
However, each person should base on his / her health, age, and medical condition to choose the right and suitable form of walking. For example, the average person will travel a maximum of 60 minutes a day which is equivalent to 5km. But, for pregnant women should stroll, reasonable steps without exertion, walking time every day for about 30 minutes. If at the end of pregnancy can be divided into two times will be beneficial for both mother and child. Or obese people who want to lose weight should walk for at least 30 minutes a day, go slowly to avoid the risk of arthritis, joint injuries, and burn more fat.
Before walking, you need to start up lightly by relaxing, taking a deep breath, relaxing your body, regulating your breathing, then walking comfortably, leisurely and increase the speed.
You can estimate the speed of going as fast or slow as sauntering, leisurely, suitable for older people, about 70 steps per minute. Go soon for healthy people, maybe about 100 steps per minute, long strides, swinging arms. If a meter can determine the energy consumption of 270kcal / hour, and the oxygen demand is 56 l /hours.
Note the time and environment
Experts think that basically to ensure the right way to walk. The walking climate should be fresh, not sunny. However, it is not advisable to walk in the early morning, or late evening, especially in the cold season, the frosty weather causes terrible effects on health. The most reasonable walking time is between 6 – 10 am and 4 – 6 pm.
Three good times to walk are early in the morning, after dinner, and before going to bed. Individually, walk early in the morning after waking up, you will be able to breathe fresh air, especially when the sun is rising.
Especially walking in the spring morning is considered a perfect nourishment method because everything is multiplying. Walking properly and gently after dinner is also considered a way to help the stomach contract and digest more easily. Walking gently before bed will also help you fall asleep easier.
According to experts, when walking, people need to wear sports shoes that fit your feet, have good elasticity, soft soles, and beautiful outfit. In the summer you should have the ventilation, sweat, fresh material; In winter, a windbreaker is a companion not to be missed.
Don’t hold anything in your hand if you bring an umbrella or raincoat, drinking water then put it in a bag with a strap on your shoulder. Take care to bring water to replenish the amount of water lost during exercise. Don’t talk, don’t think wildly, focus on your breath, and walk.
A pair of athletic shoes that fit well have good elasticity and a soft sole.
Clothes: depending on the weather, in the summer you should have ventilation, sweat-absorbing, fresh material such as 100% polyester. In winter, wind suits are companions that you cannot ignore.
Water: Mineral water is necessary to replenish water loss during exercise.
Posture is the first step for walking pleasure and energy. Excellentwalking posturelets you take full breaths, engage your core muscles, use your leg and buttock muscles for a natural walking stride. It is an antidote to the hunching and slouching many people do at work and when using a cell phone.
Bad walking posture could contribute to aches and pains after walking, while great walking posture can relieve them. At the start of every walk, you take a few seconds to set your walking position.
Steps for Great Walking Posture
- You stand up straight with your feet together with a comfortable space apart. And, your toes should be pointed forward, but a slight angle is acceptable.
- Also, should imagine a string attached to the top of your head. Feel it lift you from your hips, so you are tall and straight. Do not lean forward or backward.
- You do not arch your back.
- You suck in your stomach slightly,engaging your core muscles. This way will help maintain proper posture while walking.
- You tuck in your buttocks by rotating your hip slightly forward. This way keeps you from arching your back or leaning forward.
- Should focus your eyes 20 feet ahead of you. And your head will follow where your eyes are looking.
- Keep your chin parallel to the ground. You probably corrected this by looking 20 feet ahead of you. But, you take a moment to check that your chin is not tilted either up or down. Also, walking with your head down as when checking your cell phone puts a strain on your neck, as does craning your neck backward.
- You shrug your shoulders and let them relax, with your shoulders slightly back. This way will help relieve the tension, so many people carry in our joints. It will set your position for using arm motion. Now, you did have the right posture to get started walking.
Arm motion could lend power to your walking, burning 5 to 10 percent more calories and acting as a balance to your leg motion. Commonly, you will speed up when you add arm motion.
Also, poor examples of “speedwalking” arm motion are seen in popular culture. With arms pumped high in the air, or extending out. This kind of arm motion does not help you.
Steps for Proper Walking Arm Motion
- You bend your elbows 90 degrees.
- You partially close your hands but do not clench them. Clenching your fists could raise yourblood pressure.
- With steps, the arm opposite your ahead foot comes straight forward, not diagonally.
- As the forward foot goes back, the opposite arm also comes straight back.
- You should keep your elbows close to your body; do notchicken wing.
- Your forward hand should not pass the center point of your body.
- When you come ahead, your hand should be kept low, no higher than your breastbone.
- And, if you find adding arm motion tiring, do it for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, then let your arms rest.
Erik Isakson/Blend Images/Getty Images
The walking step is a rolling motion.Flexible shoeswill ensure you can roll through the level. If your feet are slapping down rather than running through the stage, your shoes are likely too stiff.
Proper Walking Step Motion
- You need to strike the ground first with your heel.
- Should roll through the step from heel to toe.
- And, you push off with your toe.
- You bring the back leg forward to strike again with the heel.
Firstly, yourshin muscles may tire and be soreuntil they are strengthened. This way is natural when you early start walking for fitness or when you change your foot motion, stride, or shoes.
The push-off by your rear foot is the key to walking with power and speed. Unfortunately, people fall into the bad habit ofoverstriding—taking a longer step in front. This way puts more stress on your lower leg joints, and it doesn’t give your stride power. You can ask a friend to watch you walk to see if you are overstriding with your usual walking pattern.
Lengthen Your Stride in Back
You lengthen your stride in back to improve power and efficiency in your pace. Your forward foot should strike closer to the center of your body. Also, you don’t gain anything by stepping out farther with your forward foot.
You should think about keeping your back foot on the ground longer and giving yourself a push off to add power to your stride. And, your feet are rolling through the step from heel strike in front to pushing off with your toe in the back.
Practice Your Stride
As you walk with the excellent posture and roll-through from heel to toe, focus on keeping the back foot on the ground longer or giving yourself a good push off. You could also think about keeping your stride shorter in front, but that will correct itself if your rear foot is on the ground longer.
When you get comfortable with the new walking pattern, you could increase speed by taking more, smaller steps. This way is whatfast walkersdo rather than overstriding.
PLEASE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR AND SHOULD CHECK OVERALL HEALTH 1-2 TIMES/YEAR.
Note the posture when walking: the shoulders and chest are straight, and the belly is pulled back.
Remember that slow walking with short distances will not work, while walking fast and too long miles (while the body is not prepared) will be harmful to health.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article, if you have any questions you need, please feel free to comment under the comment section, we will answer you as soon as possible.