Acute laryngitis is a short-lived infection of the larynx that will usually resolve without treatment but can last a couple of weeks. Voice overuse, an upper respiratory infection, or severe irritation from smoke, drink alcohol, and other pollutants can cause acute laryngitis.
Laryngitis can also become chronic and last a long time. Acid reflux, allergies, smoking, and some infections can all cause chronic laryngitis. All of those things that we did recommend in the previous post “how to get your voice back fast“, you should read first.
Our article today will discuss ways a person can get their voice back quickly and when to see a doctor.
Honey lemon peach
Folk remedies for hoarseness are simple and extremely effective. So in the house never lack a jar of peach honey. Just suck a few lemon slices, the voice will return to you immediately.
Green bean tea with a whole skin
Cook about 50g of raw green beans, cooked green beans, add little sugar. Eat during the day. People with hoarseness can eat lean meat soup cooked with tofu, shallot leaves or braised meat porridge with bean sprout.
Cure hoarseness in Western medicine
Natural methods are always safe and effective options, but they don’t still work. In case of prolonged hoarseness that leads to a dry cough, patients should take medicine to treat the symptoms from the completely hoarse voice.
Anhydrous oral what medication? Some medications such as:
- Antibiotics beta-lactam group
- Macrolide antibiotics group
- Corticosteroids and histamine
- Drug expectorant effect
Although Western medicine is useful, it also has many side effects like a double-edged sword. So when using a long-term treatment of hoarseness by Western medicine method, patients need:
- Do not arbitrarily buy medicine to drink but need to be prescribed by a doctor.
- Stick to the advice of the doctor.
- Take the right dose; do not arbitrarily stop taking the drug.
- Pay attention when curing hoarseness
When performing the above hoarseness treatment, you need:
- Abstain from speaking
- Talking, or any other reason will make the symptoms last longer. Because the vibrating membranes in the throat have to work a lot. They do not have a chance to rest to recover.
- Even tiny whispers are harmful. According to Dr. George at Boston Hospital (USA), when we whisper with the sound of the wind, the membranes vibrating in the throat are no less intense when we shout.
- When hoarseness you need to abstain from speaking
- Keep your throat dry
- Dry throat leads to hoarseness and loss of speech. The leading cause of dry throat is dry air. Dry air dries out the vibrating membrane in the throat, and the protective sputum surrounds it. When dry, this sputum layer becomes sticky, causing the sound to be more obstructed. To keep the throat moist, you can use the following:
- Breathe through your nose
- Do not smoke while muted
- Drink plenty of water (about ten glasses per day)
- Suck on coughing candy
- Do not take aspirin. This medication can cause side effects on the throat and make it heal longer. Pain relievers with acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) are less harmful than aspirin.
Don’t smoke and drink alcohol
If you are a regular smoker or vaper, try taking a few days off. Smoking and vaping irritate the throat, and nicotine slows down healing. If you are unable to quit nicotine right away, the best thing to use is a pack of nicotine gum.
Think about the dry mouth you get when you are hungover. Even a little bit of drinking can cause dehydration. Alcohol can dry out your throat, which may further damage your voice overnight. By not smoking and drinking, we also break a fever well.
Take a hot shower
The steam from a hot bath helps moisten your vocal cords and soothe your sore throat. Adding a refreshing essential oil, like eucalyptus, may also help.
Dab some essential oil on your palms and rub them together. In the shower, bring your hands to your face and breathe deeply.
You can also make a shower bouquet. If you hang some fresh eucalyptus from your showerhead, the steam will extract the healing essential oil. Plus, it will make your bathroom smell like a spa.
Get a humidifier
Your throat naturally dries out during the night. When you sleep, you produce less saliva, and bacteria build up in your mouth. That is where “morning breath” comes. When your mouth and throat dry out, your voice box can become even more irritated.
Using a humidifier while you sleep can prevent this from happening and help you maximize your healing time.
See a doctor
Laryngitis does not typically require treatment. A viral infection almost always causes it, so antibiotics will not help.
If you are someone whose job depends on your voice, however, your doctor may be willing to prescribe corticosteroids to decrease inflammation.
If your laryngitis symptoms last longer than two to three weeks, consult your doctor. You might have chronic laryngitis or laryngitis caused byacid reflux. Your doctor can perform a physical exam and recommend a specialist if necessary.
Above are some ways to treat hoarseness with natural materials that bring the fastest and safest. To recover faster than the friend, you should also pay attention not to smoke, drink alcohol, not to the environment of dirt, pollution. That will help the disease recover, productively, and effectively in the long term. Now maybe you could know how to get your voice back better. Wish you always healthy!
Thank you for taking the time to read our article. If you have any questions you need, please feel free to comment under the comment section, we would answer you as soon as possible.