While jewelry that is made of pure silver or gold does not tarnish, cheaper alloys in fake jewelry will start to change colors and oxidize over time. If you have phony jewelry that is lost its original shine or color, there are easy ways that you can clean and polish it at home. Today, we will help you clean shiny jewelry.
Common causes of tarnishing
Oxygen and sulfur compounds mixing with moisture are the most common cause of blackening. Our body chemistry also differs; that is why some people’s jewelry may be more inclined to tarnish or tarnish more quickly than other individuals. Other influences are the consistent exposure to high amounts of chemicals such as perfume, hairspray, deodorants, and cleaning stuff like chlorine and soaps. They may also contribute to the tarnishing of even higher gold karat like 14 karats or 18 karat jewelry.
Another surprising cause of tarnishing is food items with high levels of acidity or sulfur compounds. Some things that can assist in tarnishing are onions, fruit juices, spices, and pickled items.
If you want to keep your gold jewels looking its best for a long time, you should avoid the items mentioned above.
Ensure to remove your jewelry also even when just washing your hands. Soap may leave your gold jewelry with a dull finish little by little. It becomes harder to clean when the soap suds have already built up.
Put your gold jewelry separately and adequately or in compartments to avoid them from scratching each other. You may add a packet of silica gel inside the usual jewelry box, so it absorbs any moisture in the box.
Blackening of 21 and 22 karat gold items have been reported but are very unusual cases and unexpected. Experts can only infer that the jewelry might have been exposed to a corrosive atmosphere at some point and doesn’t mean that the gold in these items is fake. In terms of tarnishing, one’s lifestyle and the environmental conditions in your area can affect your jewelry.
After a period of use, your jewelry, whether it is gold, silver or diamond, fine jewelry, are effortless to be stained, dull and faded no longer looks as beautiful as the new day. You can also bring your jewelry to jewelry stores, and they will help you regain the shiny and beautiful as new. Besides, there are some ways to help you make other quick and straightforward jewelry bright.
It is fast and straightforward in just a few minutes that you can regain your shiny looks like new rings, earrings, necklaces, and bracelets with materials available in my home.
Step 1: Prepare
– Gold jewelry needs to be shiny
– 1 cup of warm water
– Dishwashing liquid (or toothpaste or shampoo)
– Soft toothbrush
– Sponge foam (or particular delicate sponge dish wash piece)
– Soft dry towels
Step 2: Clean and clean dirt on gold jewelry
Traces of dust and dirt on gold jewelry can be cleaned quickly with ordinary water. You can use soft toothbrushes to brush, clean the brush more easily gently.
Making shiny, wiping gold jewelry round like bracelets or rings needs meticulousness and refinement because stains are often concentrated on the inside of rings, gold rings.
Step 3: Clean jewelry with boiling water + dishwashing liquid, toothpaste, shampoo, soap
Each type has different ways to make shiny gold:
Method 1: Clean the jewelry with boiling water + dishwashing liquid
- Firstly, you put a few drops of dishwashing liquid into a bowl of warm water to stir. Do not use hot water and cold water. Hot water can damage gems on jewelry, while cold water will make stains more adhering to jewelry.
- Secondly, you should soak jewelry into solution over about 15 minutes.
- Next, use a soft toothbrush to scrub the jewelry, especially dirty spots gently.
- Finally, you put jewelry into a small sieve, clean, and then rinse the warm water. Warm water will help remove remaining dirt.
If you wash jewelry in the sink, make sure to cover the drain hose, you accidentally drop the jewelry.
- You should use a fluffy cloth to dry the jewelry before putting it back on thoroughly.
Method 2: Clean the jewelry with boiling water + toothpaste
Toothpaste is the best shiny solution for silver jewelry. Besides, you can also use toothpaste to regain the new beauty of gold by:
– Apply toothpaste directly on the jewelry
– Massage gently to soak the toothpaste evenly on the surface of the jewelry
– Use a soft bristle brush
Method 3: Clean the jewelry with boiling water + shampoo
For shampoo, the golden shine method proceeds as follows:
– Prepare a cup of warm water with shampoo available
– Remove gold jewelry that needs to be shiny in that cup
– Soak for about 10 minutes
– Then take out the jewelry
– Carry out dry seeping, using a soft sponge or a soft wiping cloth
You can proceed this way once a week to shiny silver.
Step 4: Clean stain on gold jewelry with a sponge
After carrying out the cleaning of gold jewelry in step 3, you get back the golden shine by using a soft sponge to rub the surface of the jewelry until it regains its shiny new look.
After that, rinse with clean water.
Step 5: Dry
Finally, use a fluffy towel to dry the gold jewelry. So you’ve completed the steps of shiny gold jewelry. It’s fast and straightforward.
To use gold jewelry, make jewelry durable and shiny like the new one, you should note the following five things:
1. For silver with gemstones, diamonds, or those that cannot withstand high temperatures, you should not follow the above guidelines. The solution for you is to use specialized water to clean and shiny jewelry. Go to jewelry and jewelry stores to be able to sharpen – the safest beauty.
2. Limit exposure to chemicals or cosmetics.
3. Should remove jewelry before going to bed, bathing, shampooing.
4. For pearl jewelry, carefully store the precious stone with care of soft cloth (cotton) box to avoid scratching.
5. Regularly clean and clean to keep the silver shiny and beautiful like new.
You can also read this to know more.
Good luck to you!